Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Yeremiah Bell Q&A Sun-Sentinel

May 09, 2007

Yeremiah Bell Q&A

Sflbellph050807The following are excerpts from Dolphins safety Yeremiah Bell's Wednesday interview on 790-The Ticket:

Q: How different are the coaching styles of Nick Saban and Cam Cameron?

A: "Obviously, the coaching style is a lot different. With Cam, everybody is more relaxed and has a better sense of what's going on."

Q: With Saban spending so much time with the defensive backs, the way he was always yelling and screaming, did it get annoying after a while?

A: "To be honest, it was very annoying. Guys getting yelled at all day . . . guys kind of get out of a comfort zone and they start doing things that they don't know if it's right or wrong because they don't want coach Saban to yell at them. This year, we don't have any of that. Guys can concentrate on what they need to do. I just think it's a lot better."

Q: Can Jason Allen make the switch from safety to cornerback? Can he play in this league?

A: "Yes. Jason can play in this league. That's probably one thing that I've seen with my own eyes is the transition that Jason made from safety to corner. I practiced with the guy every day. He's just making unbelievable plays at corner. I think he's just shocked everybody on the field."

Q: Will it be a better, more natural position for Allen to make the switch?

A: "Yeah, I think it'll be a more natural position. He just looks more comfortable out there playing corner. He's making plays. He's grasped the defense a lot quicker at corner than he did at safety. I think it's a great transition for Jason."

Q: What was the biggest reason for the secondary not making enough plays last season?

A: "It was a combination of things. Guys dropping balls, us not being where we needed to be at the right time. Guys were still basically learning the system. When they brought the system in, it was a hard system to learn. Guys were still kind of learning on the fly even though we knew what to do most of the time."

Q: How frustrating was it for you to not get a chance to play until later in the season?

A: "It was hard, but that's what I've been used to my whole life. Just keeping my mouth shut and just waiting for the opportunity. It was very difficult just to sit back and listen to guys thinking I should be in there. At the same time, I was just glad to be on the team. I wasn't really in a position to try to speak up and say anything. I just sat back and waited on my turn. I knew I could play. It was all about convincing the coaches. I guess they had something in their heads that was telling them that I wasn't ready. I honestly can't say what it was. But I knew I was ready. It was just a matter of convincing the coaches."

Q: Is Dom Capers' system as complicated as it's made out to be?

A: "Honestly, the system is difficult. It's probably the most difficult system I've seen as a football player. At the same time, this year coach Capers has scaled it down a lot. He's made the system a lot simpler to where we can understand it even more and go out there and get the job done."

Q: How is your contract coming along?

A: "They offered me the one-year tender. So, I'm going to be here for another year. We'll see what happens after that."

Q: Are you close to getting a long-term contract done with the Dolphins?

A: "Honestly, we've been talking, but no real strides have been made. Right now, I'm just concentrating on playing this year. We'll see what happens. If anything happens during the year, then that would be great."




No comments: