Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ricky Williams...

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Statement from Ricky Williams explains a lot

In light of his April positive drug test, the fifth positive test we know of in his seven-year career, Ricky Williams has issued a statement that tells us a lot about where his head is at.

Here's the statement issued through the Associated Press:

"Due to the recent reports about me failing a drug test, I feel it is appropriate for me to issue this statement. Last month, following a psychological evaluation requested by the NFL, we -- the psychiatrist and I -- came to the realization that there were a few things I needed to iron out about myself in order to make my return to the NFL as successful as possible.

"I am an honest, God-fearing man who is intensely dedicated to being the best person I can be on and off the football field. There is no need to smear my name or to defame my character for the sake of news. When the time is right, God willing, I will be back on the field scoring touchdowns for whatever team is fortunate enough to believe in me.

"I appreciate all the support I have received from my fans and I assure all others that I am strong, clean, and happily preparing myself for a triumphant return to the NFL."

Alrightie then. Let's break this down.

First, we should sympathize with Ricky because he is clearly a troubled soul. The man is forever on a search for the meaning of life and, really, for the meaning of himself, and seemingly never finds what he is looking for. He is nearing 30 years old and still doesn't know himself, is still trying to, "iron things out," as he says. Of course, none of us have arrived yet for we all fall short of the mark. But most of us have some limits and controls over detrimental behavior despite our imperfections.

It is ironic to me that a man who has played a disclipined sport all his life and now teaches the discipline of yoga hasn't enough discipline to keep from doing something that hurts everyone around him, including himself. And if there is any question that smoking pot is bad for Ricky he should simply ask himself, "Did me testing positive this last time help anyone I know?"

The answer is a resounding NO.

On the other hand, "Did me testing postive hurt anyone I know?"

Absolutely. Himself. His children. His team. His agent. His fans.

Secondly, the statement contains at least two out and out lies in one sentence. He says he is "strong, clean and happily" preparing for a return to the NFL. Really?

If he's clean why did he test positive again? If he's happily preparing for his return, why is he seeking the help of a psychiatrist who, by the way, has agreed that Ricky needs to iron some things out?

Thirdly, and perhaps most troubling of all, I don't see any remorse in this statement. Is Ricky sorry he just assured himself of missing training camp because his suspension hearing is moved back to September? Nope. Is Ricky sorry for causing HIMSELF any of the smearing and defamation of which he speaks? Nope. Is Ricky sorry he disappointed a ton of people? I don't see that in this statement.

No remorse. No repentance. And that typically leads to no change.

Finally, I assume Ricky is still planning a return to the NFL -- a "triumphant," return no less. That means anyone concocting conspiracy theories that Ricky tested positive on purpose as a passive aggressive way of not having to play in the NFL is just trying to excuse harmful behavior.

It also means Ricky's still got a generous amount of ego left that he hasn't successfully suppressed amid the reportedly humble lifestyle he is living in Northern California. I'm not saying the ego thing is bad, I'm just noting that his words belie his lifestyle.

All in all, the statement paints a portrait of the same enigma I've seen in the Dolphins locker room (when he's been there) since 2001. Sometimes he's not all there. Sometimes he's too aware. All the time he's undefinable.

Your thoughts?




See what's free at AOL.com.

No comments: