Saturday, May 5, 2007

Culpepper on a Comeback

Comeback route

Daunte Culpepper says his knee is progressing well and expects to participate in next month's minicamp.

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO
asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

The crowd of reporters initially gathered around John Beck and that seemed appropriate because he is, after all, the future quarterback and was actually throwing the football in a Dolphins uniform for the first time Friday.
But then Daunte Culpepper (remember him?) walked into the locker room and the attention shifted.
The veteran who has seemingly been shackled to a stationary bike since his second right knee surgery last November and was there again during Friday's morning practice, announced a hopeful break from the exercise equipment and a breakthrough in his rehabilitation program.
''I've been running straight ahead since Monday pretty much without any pain,'' Culpepper said. ``This is a great time. I'm really looking forward to testing it out in the next minicamp - getting back in the groove of things, working with the players, working with the coaches. I'm really excited about that.''
Culpepper has not participated in a Dolphins practice since November of last season. He hopes to work into drills at Miami's minicamp June 8-10.
''Testing it out in the next minicamp is what I expect will get me ready for training camp,'' he said. ``I'm real excited right now. I feel good even right now and I probably could have gone this camp, but there really was no reason to push it.''
Culpepper's improvement is good news for the Dolphins but it is still uncertain how much, if any, effect it would have on the team's decision to keep or release him in the coming weeks.
The Dolphins are still hoping to acquire Trent Green from Kansas City. Green told Kansas City radio station WHB 810-AM on Friday he is frustrated with the Chiefs and believes Miami is the best place for him to be and that he expected to come in as the starter.
Miami's plan has been to jettison Culpepper after the Green acquisition for myriad reasons, among them the idea that two veteran starting-caliber quarterbacks would make for an uncomfortable locker-room atmosphere. But with Green still not present and Culpepper signaling the most positive sign about his recovery in a long time, the plan might still change. Maybe.
''He's getting in that 90 percent range -- whether it's 91 or 98 -- he's made progress,'' coach Cam Cameron said. ``And again, until he's 100 percent he won't be out there.''
The Dolphins clearly hope Beck can be out there as their starter sometime next season. But not yet.
Beck threw a pass that should have been intercepted by Yeremiah Bell in the day's second practice and fumbled a snap from center in the morning drills.
''He let the clock run out twice,'' Cameron said. ``That clock is a major factor and major difference for guys coming out of college. And he was shocked that happened. He'll get that corrected.''
Beck's acquisition and the speculation about Green's arrival caught Culpepper's attention recently. But the team has not addressed his future with him.
''There really hasn't been a whole lot of dialogue there,'' Culpepper said. ``. . . I was told somebody is going to talk with me after the draft, but that's pretty much all I can tell you about that.''
It has been reported that Culpepper has struggled with his weight during his time of inactivity. One report had the quarterback at 275 pounds. But Culpepper doesn't see that as a problem.
''My weight has been up a little bit because in the last six months, I haven't been running like I normally would,'' he said. ``So I don't know where that's coming from because I've never had a problem with my weight and never will. I'm a disciplined guy and I'm going to be where I need to be.''
Culpepper seemed enthusiastic in talking about his status Friday. And despite the cloud of uncertainty that hovers over him, he seemed confident that good days are ahead.
''When I get healthy, I think everything else will fall into place,'' he said. ``When I'm healthy, I'm an elite quarterback in this league.''

No comments: