Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Jason Taylor on The Dolphins

Jason Taylor on ESPN 760-AM



Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor joined Evan Cohen today on Palm Beaches GameDay on ESPN Radio 760. Here's a transcript:

Would you agree to play for free if it meant the Dolphins would make the playoffs?

Playoffs, no, Super Bowl, yes. I've been to the playoffs before, our goal is not to make the playoffs, it's to win the Super Bowl. [Our goal is] not to win ten games or make the first round of the playoffs and see what happens. I get up every day and go to work, to win the Super Bowl, anything less than that is not a success - in our eyes, the fans eyes and our owner's eyes.

Would you leave the Dolphins for a better chance of winning a Super Bowl?

It doesn't cross my mind. There are no guarantees in the league and to leave the team you [entered the league] with and chase Super Bowl dreams somewhere else, there's no guarantee another team's going to make it. It can turn around here; New Orleans turned it around quickly last year and was 30 minutes away from the big game. If I made the playoffs somewhere else there would always be a piece of me that felt empty, for not having a chance to do it here for the fans. The way I've been received by the community, I would always have a void for not being able to turn it around and get it back to where it's supposed to be for our football franchise.

Can you win a Super Bowl with the Miami Dolphins?

I truly believe we can, if everyone buys into what we are trying to do, if we all give up bull crap excuses and does what were supposed to do, I know we can win.

At the Dolphins team banquet, why did you make a point to emphasize all the work that Daunte Culpepper has put into coming back?

Because of the heat he's taking in the media. Daunte Culpepper is my quarterback, Cleo Lemon is my quarterback and [John] Beck is my quarterback. Daunte has received a lot of bad press and he doesn't deserve it. People are free to write and say what they want, but at the banquet I was in a position to stand up for the man. I see how hard he works and how bad he wants to comeback and be successful. I've seen stuff in the papers and heard people on the radio say he's not showing up for workouts, he's missing rehab, he's gaining weight, he's not working hard and a bunch of other crap that couldn't be further from the truth. I thought it was a good chance for me to stand up if front of everyone when they are all listening and say the man is working, he wants to come back and he's trying as hard as he can to comeback from an injury that nine out ten people would have never played again after.

He had a very bad knee injury and he's working his way back, so let's be patient and give him a chance. We knew last year when he rushed back that he wasn't one hundred percent healthy and the man needs time to heal. Give him a shot and if the team decides to go in another direction, then fine. As far as the media and fans are concerned - who are kind of ignorant of the situation - [they] need to take a step back and say, "This is a grown man, a man who has feelings, who has kids and let's be careful how bad we trash him."

What are your thoughts on how the Chiefs are treating Trent Green?

I think the Chiefs are being a little ridiculous in what they are trying to do, but one thing is for sure: time waits for no man. June 1st is coming up and the Chiefs and the Dolphins know that if it's going to work out it will. He's not part of our team right now, the guys I said earlier [Culpepper, Lemon, Beck] are our quarterbacks and that's who I'm ready to go to battle with.

Does it matter who the Head Coach is, as long as Dom Capers is your Defensive Coordinator?

Yeah it does. We have an offensive-minded coach and we need to score more points and be more efficient offensively. With Dom being retained as defensive coordinator it creates continuity and we can stay comfortable. We need to tweak a few things and throw some new wrinkles in. Defensively I think the transition between [Nick] Saban and [Cam] Cameron has been seamless. Offensively I think it will be a big difference. Cam is calling the plays and has a lot more control over the offense than previous coaches.

Will Ricky Williams ever play another game for your team?

Who really knows, who cares?





See what's free at AOL.com.

No comments: