Monday, May 21, 2007

Weekly Column: XXXPhins

The QB position-

I read a article by ESPN the other day talking about the Dolphins are the only team who don't know who the starting QB will be in training camp or even who the 3 QB's will be on the opening day roaster. It sounds like we still have big problems with position still, but I disagree 100% and this is why.

We have options now. That is the main reason.

1.We have a young QB for the future which is something we haven't had sense a guy named Marino. He has a rocket arm, quick delivery, great completion %, and that "it" factor in my opinion. I'm not going to lie I was one of the guys on the Quinn wagon. I was one of the guys who at first thought they screwed up bad by passing on Quinn and taking Ted Ginn Jr. which is a whole column by its self.(which I hope someone writes about) I didn't know to much about this guy other then he's from BYU (which is pretty cool to me, because I'm a Mormon to) So I started to look into him a little (ok a lot) To my surprise I found out he had a lot better ratings then Quinn did, he won a lot of big games, and he put it the best in his opening press conference when asked about playing with the Dolphins with pictures of the great QB's of the past all over the place? His response was he's already been though that at BYU with Steve Young and Ty Detmer. I agree he'll handle the pressure fine and in time will be a great QB.

2.We have a young back up who knows the offense who even has some game time experience. Not much, but enough that I fill he could do the job for a little bit if called upon. He's even developed under our new head coach for 2 or 3 years before he came to us in a trade. I think he'll always be a back up QB, but he'll be ours for a while. I think he'll sign a very cap friendly deal to stay with the guy who gave him a chance in the first place.

3.This is where it gets wried. We could go with Culpepper the guy who has been to couple of pro bowls and is already on our team, but is still rehabbing the knee. (again) Also has never played in a system like Cam's before and will have to learn a new system again, Which will be his 3 or 4th in the past 4 years. I know last year was his old OC's offensive system, but we all know Murlaky (spl ?) had to change some things in it. Then there's Trent Green a pro bowler himself, but also has injuries he's recovering from and the worst the kind for a QB his age. Though he didn't start playing until later in his career so he still could have a year or two left in the tank. The best part about Green is he knows the system very well and could mentor Beck and even down the road become his QB coach if he wanted to.

So what do I think about the QB position this year? Call me crazy, but I think we are heading in the right direction finely for the first time sense Marino retired. I personally would hate to see Culpepper go, but I understand Green would be allot better QB for us right now and I believe we need to get a deal done for him, because he gives us the best chance to make a playoff run this year and also can mentor Beck and help groom Beck into a great QB for us. So he would be very valuable to us right now, but don't tell KC that ok. They may try to get Chambers from us or some stupid crap like that.

oh yea one more thing-
I told everyone Ricky would screw us over again. I'm just glad it happened now instead of after the 4th or 5th game. Sorry I had to!!!!!!!!!!!!




See what's free at AOL.com.

No comments: