Sunday, May 27, 2007

Culpepper...

Culpepper cautions QB Green

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper said Friday he has not asked the Dolphins to clarify his status despite reports that he likely will be traded or released after the team acquires Trent Green.

Meanwhile, Culpepper cautioned that ''it's not going to be a cakewalk'' for Green -- or any player -- who joins the Dolphins.

Green said this week that he wants to play for the Dolphins and believes he would be given a ''much more fair chance'' to win the starting job in Miami than in Kansas City.

Culpepper, asked about Green's comments, said, ``For a guy, for anybody who thinks that whatever their situation is where they're at and they're coming here, and it's going to be peaches and cream, that's not the case.''

Culpepper said he hopes he's given a chance to compete for the starting job in training camp but indicated he feels no urgency for the Dolphins to tell him whether he's in their plans.

''It's not bothering me one way or the other because I know I'll be healthy,'' he said. ``As long as I'm healthy, I'll be fine. I feel I'm going to be a great player in this league. . . . Nothing has changed in my mind until somebody tells me different. I'm the quarterback of this team.''

Culpepper continues to participate in some on-field work and expects to do more during the mini-camp June 8-10.

Culpepper said he's ''close'' to 100 percent but not there yet.

''I'm getting stronger and better every day,'' he said. ``I really want to do more, but I want to be smart about it.''

Again asked about Culpepper's status, coach Cam Cameron remained noncommittal.

''For me to make an evaluation of a guy I've never seen play with my own two eyes, I'm not going to go there,'' Cameron said.

``I feel like I've been around enough quarterbacks, and that's the way you do it. That's what serves the player and us the best.''

But what if the Dolphins feel they need to make a decision before he's 100 percent?

''You don't necessarily,'' Cameron said.

O-LINE SHIFTS

Just one month after the Dolphins decided to shift Vernon Carey from right tackle to left tackle, Cameron said Thursday he has made another significant adjustment to the offensive line.

Rex Hadnot, who started every game at center last season, has been moved back to right guard, Cameron said Friday. Rookie Samson Satele and Johnathan Ingram will compete for the starting center spot.

''Rex Hadnot can be as good of a guard as I've been around,'' Cameron said. ``That's a big plus for us. I'm looking forward to seeing his development. The sky is the limit for him as he grows and matures.''

Hadnot actually spent most of his first two NFL seasons at right guard before being moved to center during training camp in 2006, when he swapped spots with former Dolphins lineman Seth McKinney.

Cameron was adamant about Hadnot's potential at right guard, noting he is extremely natural at the position despite his ability to also play center.

ANOTHER SIGNING

The Dolphins secured another draft pick Friday, signing fullback Reagan Mauia to a four-year contract. Mauia, a sixth-round selection from Hawaii, is the fifth player to sign in the past three days. The team has signed half of its 10 rookies





See what's free at AOL.com.

No comments: