Monday, June 11, 2007

Defient

Culpepper remains defiant over trade

dneal@MiamiHerald.com

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper warms up with some throws as recently-acquired quarterback Trent Green looks on. Culpepper was not allowed to participate in team drills.
 

Daunte Culpepper's relationship with the Dolphins grew worse as the team would not allow him to take part in any minicamp drills.

Daunte Culpepper, unwanted now that he's finally medically cleared to practice, was told he couldn't do any drills and walked off the field.

Trent Green, whose leadership skills were roundly extolled by teammates, said he was a follower on his first day as the new kid on the block.

Meanwhile, coach Cam Cameron wouldn't discuss the quarterback situation because the team was working on a trade Culpepper said he wouldn't accept.

You couldn't say the Culpepper-Green Quarterback Saga didn't make Friday much more interesting than the typical minicamp day of big men in helmets and no pads.

''I will not agree to any trade,'' Culpepper said. ``If I'm traded, ultimately my contract has to be restructured and I will not restructure it.''

Culpepper said he has had conversations with NFL teams but didn't elaborate on which ones.

Culpepper said that about an hour after leaving the field, with a half hour left in practice, and about 20 minutes after Cameron said general manager Randy Mueller was working on trading Culpepper. The Dolphins spent most of Thursday making calls about Culpepper but had not drawn any interest.

GETTING ACQUAINTED

As for Green, he just tried to fit in on his first day.

''Today, I didn't really know the routine in practice,'' Green said. ``[Quarterbacks coach] Terry [Shea] and I covered it a little bit in a meeting, how the flow of things was going to go, what the rotation was going to be like. I kind of just followed along. Once I get the hang of that, then you can be more assertive.''

Green said he and Culpepper talked before practice, but mostly about knees. Culpepper ripped up his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments, and cartilage Oct. 30, 2005. Green did the same to his left knee in 1999 while with St. Louis.

''We stayed away from the other stuff,'' Green said.

According to Culpepper, the coaching staff put ''the other stuff'' out there for full team consumption Friday morning.

''I was told this morning in front of the whole team, at the team meeting that I won't be here,'' Culpepper said. ``I wasn't able to really participate in anything in practice today. When I was told it, I thought I would at least be able to do some one-on-ones because I said before, I was going to come here to test my knee out, get a good feel of how I feel.''

All appeared fine as the five quarterbacks -- the two former Pro Bowlers plus Cleo Lemon, 2007 second-round pick John Beck and free agent Gibran Hamdan -- went through pitch-and-catch drills early in practice.

Then, the team split into seven-on-nine drills on the north field and passing drills on the south field. Lemon and Green went with most of the players over to the north field while the other three quarterbacks stayed on the south field.

Suddenly, as Green worked with the second-team offense in the seven-on-nine drills, Culpepper started off the south field. As he crossed onto the north field, he turned and shouted something over his left shoulder with his left arm spread wide.

NO REPS FOR DAUNTE

''I was told right before the one-on-ones that I wouldn't get any reps, by my quarterbacks coach, which was a message from somebody above him,'' Culpepper said.

''I just thought maybe that was routine,'' Green said. ``From what I understand, he's mainly been doing the individual stuff not the team stuff. Once the individual stuff was done, I figured he was just going to rehab.''

As Culpepper crossed the west end of the north field, he was met by Dolphins security chief Stu Weinstein. The two walked toward the locker room. A shout of ''Daunte!'' from the stands drew a look and wave from Culpepper. Weinstein went into the locker room, and he came out, Culpepper entered and went to the weight room.

''I'm done with the on-the-field stuff,'' Culpepper said. ``I tested my knee, I did what I wanted to do. I've still got a ways to go; that's why I'm going to continue to physically rehab my knee and continue to get myself in the best shape possible.''

Defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday called Culpepper ''a class guy, a class act,'' and predicted Culpepper will again be an upper-crust player. Holliday also had good words for Green, with whom he shared a sideline in Kansas City.

''[Green is] a guy who's really respected by his teammates, as well as peers throughout the league,'' Holliday said. ``Probably one of the most underappreciated quarterbacks over the last decade. A guy who comes in and is a leader. We need that right now. It's great to have a quarterback who's healthy so our offense can start to jell.''





See what's free at AOL.com.

No comments: